Baking soda is gentle, non-toxic and environmentally friendly. Its green cleaning, scrubbing, and deodorizing properties make it an extremely versatile thing to have around the house.
Here are 20 great uses for baking soda you can try at home:
1) Put a bowl of baking soda in the fridge to remove unpleasant odors. Replace every month or two.
2) For a great green cleaning alternative, sprinkle on a sponge and clean your counters, fridge, and bathroom without scratching.
3) Wash chemicals off fruits and vegetables by soaking and scrubbing them in a pot of water with 3-4 tablespoons of baking soda.
4) Use a bowl of baking soda to control moisture in places that need it, such as under sinks. Stir it occasionally for maximum effectiveness.
5) Sprinkle it on carpets and rugs to deodorize them. Leave it on a half hour then vacuum. Avoid humid areas as the powder will cake.
6) Soak a stinky mop in 4 tablespoons of baking soda and a gallon of water, to remove its odor.
7) Sprinkle it below or around cat litter to help eliminate odor.
8) Sprinkle it on the bottom of garbage cans and garbage bags to control odor.
9) Use it as an underarm deodorant, applying with a powder puff.
10) Throw on stove fires as well as fire on clothes, fuel, wood, rugs and upholstery. The carbon dioxide in baking soda chokes the oxygen that fire needs. (This is one I hope you never have to try at home, but just in case…)
11) Keep drains free of clogs by adding 4 tablespoons of baking soda a week and then flushing it with hot water.
12) Apply on fresh grease or oil spills on the garage floor to draw away the oil and then scrape away the remainder.
13) Soak combs and brushes in a baking soda solution to remove hair grease and hair product.
14) Add half a cup of baking soda to your laundry loads to brighten colors, remove stains and eliminate odor. Eliminate tougher clothing stains by scrubbing the powder directly onto the stain before washing.
15) Reduce heartburn by drinking 1/2 cup of water with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
16) Clean chrome, jewelry and silver with a baking soda/water paste. Rub it in, let sit if necessary, rinse and dry.
17) Relieve bad breath and canker sore pain by gargling in a baking soda solution.
18) Brush your teeth and whiten them by either using baking soda directly or sprinkling it on top of your other toothpaste.
19) Deter ants in the garden by creating a solid line of baking soda that ants will refuse to cross.
20) Relieve the pain of insect bites and stings by rubbing a baking soda paste onto the wound.