It seems like everybody is on a health kick these days. Organic vitamins are another great option for you to turn to when you’re looking to optimize your health, ward off illness and disease, and generally feel better each and every day.
However, not every organic vitamin is created equally, and it’s important to distinguish between what’s out there so you can take home a product that’s suitable for your own needs. Use these five tips to buy organic vitamins that are perfect for you and live up to your standards.
1. Inspect the Label: Having a label that mentions including organic or natural ingredients is not enough. What you want to see is a certified organic label from the USDA (in the United States). Certified Organic means that at least 95% of the ingredients are organic, which means good for you and good for the environment. However, even better is a 100% Organic label, which of course signals that every drop of the ingredients is completely organic, safe for consumption, and friendly for the environment.
2. Consider your Diet: Not all people need to take the same kinds of organic vitamins. Different people have different needs, and one of the major contributing factors to this is the foods that you are consistently including in your diet. Vegetarians, for example, are lacking in fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, D and E and vitamins like B12 which are derived from animal sources. You have to keep this in mind as you select which vitamins and nutrients to supplement into your existing diet.
3. Consider Multivitamins: Multivitamins are still the most commonly used supplements, and you’ll be able to find some great choices if you’re looking here for an organic vitamin as well. These make it easy to ensure you’re getting all of the vitamins and nutrients that your body needs on a daily, consistent basis. However, if you’d rather get as much of your nutrients as possible from your food sources, then evaluate your diet as mentioned above for particular shortcomings and take the individual supplements you need. For multivitamins, also consider purchasing a product specifically built for your age and sex.
4. Understand what Organic means (and doesn’t): Many people have the misconception that because vitamins are supposed to be natural compounds, that all products like this are going to be organic. This just isn’t the case. Organic compounds can be synthesized and produced in a laboratory. Additionally, vitamins could also be taken from plants and natural sources that were grown using pesticides and chemicals. Therefore, organic vitamins are indeed a special breed and it’s important to make that distinction.
5. How about liquid vitamins?: Organic liquid vitamins have become a very popular choice over the past few years. This is due to a variety of reasons, including individuals not enjoying taking and swallowing pills, and the general ease of use and hassle-free application of liquid vitamins. Of course, the same rules apply for organic liquid vitamins as for regular organic vitamins, so check the labels and be aware of your own needs.