I found a great list of the ways that trees can benefit us over at the Arbor Day Foundation website. It really shows the big difference that planting a tree can make! Here’s a list of my ten favorite ones:
1) Trees help offset greenhouse gases from our cars and home, helping to fight global warming.
2) Trees can increase property values by up to 20% (Source: Management Information Services.)
3) Trees filter water, keeping it clean.
4) Trees prevent runoff and erosion of your property.
5) One young, healthy tree provides cooling for your home equal to ten room-size air conditioners operating 20 hours per day. (Source: USDA).
6) A single large tree on the west side of your home will save you nearly 12% on your energy bill. More trees shading your windows and walls will save up to 50% of air conditioning and heating costs. (Sources: (Source: Center for Urban Forest Research, USDA Forest Service, American Public Power Association.)
7) Trees provide home, shelter, and food for the little squirrels and other animals in your garden.
8) Looking at settings with trees produces significant recovery from stress within five minutes, as indicated by blood pressure and muscle tension changes. (Source: Dr. Roger Ulrich, Texas A&M University.)
9) Our country has about 60-to-200 million spaces along city streets where trees could be planted. If they were, they would absorb about 33 million tons of carbon dioxide per year and save $4 billion in energy costs. (Source: National Wildlife Federation.)
10) One acre of forest absorbs six tons of carbon dioxide and puts out four tons of oxygen. (Source: USDA.)
Get out there and plant a tree!